Friday, December 5, 2008

getting inspired

I don't know if it is that the end of the year is coming and I am wanting to get things in order to start off fresh for the New Year or what. I have a getting organized bug in me that I am going to let thrive and do it's thing.
I so want to be able to sort all my stash and scraps so I can just go in and sew instead of having to hunt for what to use. I have lots of ideas and have put some into place already. Like I use shoe boxes to store my BOBs and larger UFOs now - I label the front of each box so I can see at a glance what is inside each box. These are stored on top of my stash cabinet. I want to work on/ finish one BOB or UFO before starting another project. If while sorting through my BOBs and UFOs I find one I will never put together then it will be swapped or given away. No sense in holding onto it forever if someone else will complete it.

I store my cut squares in this little drawer unit. I need to label the drawers though so I can glance and see what size is in which drawer. I want to cut my scraps into squares and strips instead of storing them in these tubs until I need some for a project like in the second picture.


I have my books and printed patterns on this shelf. (not alot I know but they are all I have) I have the printed patterns in the two blue binders. I will try not to print another pattern without trying one from those I have already printed first.

I would love to have all my fabrics pressed and folded and put into basket like I have done here in this cabinet but I haven't had the time to do so yet. I will be doing this a bit at a time. Right now some fabric is being stored in the bottom of my closet in file boxes. I lucked up and found a lady moving and bought these boxes of fabric for $12 each!! They are packed full. See why I need to join the no-buy challenge? I know my stash is nothing compared to some I have seen but it is enough for me.

Do you have favorite organizing tips that you can share with me on how to get a control on my chaos of a stash? {I looked up that word in the dictionary and it totally fits -- chaos --- a: a state of utter confusion b: a confused mass or mixture}

Today's thoughts and blessings ....
I am so blessed to have my job that helps me pay my bills - for some have no jobs at all. I am so blessed to be able to be with my kids and watch them growing up so fast. I am so blessed for the hugs/kisses that I get from my kids and the "goodnight Mom - I love you" I hear each night before we drift off to sleep. It makes me feel so warm inside and makes my heart grow two sizes (just like that of the Grinch). I am so blessed to have the stash I have even in it's state of chaos. I am so blessed to have the knowledge to make the quilts I do and share that gift with others in the form of quilts.
until next time ....

1 comment:

Katie Z. said...

Keep working a bit at a time, and don't be discouraged! I think you have some great plans - finishing a UFO before starting a new project, trying a printed pattern before starting a new one. That will definitely help!